Friday, June 10, 2016

Friday Commentariat Roundup

Ho-kay, let's give this 'mailbag' proposal a try. If I do this regularly, it shouldn't become too challenging. Of course, since I *haven't* been doing it regularly, there's quite a backlog at this point. I think if I were to start from the beginning, it would be overly daunting, so I shall start from now and work backwards. I may or may not get very far. Will start from this post next time.

Note: my policy is to only comment where I have something pertinent to add; if your comment stands nicely by itself, I shall simply enjoy it without the post needing any validation.

Comments on 'Happy Endings':

Anonymous, on switching between first and last names in 'Pierced': Well, all I have to say is that you should think twice before reading any Tolstoy! I did in actual fact have to create a cheat sheet because the characters each had half a dozen ways of being referred to. But it's a valid problem; I need to balance the way in which the characters think about each other with the reader's need for quick recognition. Here again if the story got more than two or three edits, things would be better.

Saint Germain, on the protagonist coming to like what's happened to her: Well, yes. :) That's very true; I aim for what I call the 'Tabiconic Happy Ending': everyone at the ending is happy, as horrified as they might have been earlier in the story. You're quite correct.

Half Shim, on preferring the MC victorious ending: Good! In a similar vein, trilby else used to observe that (for us) e = mc, namely, the eros *is* the mind control, and vice versa. Physical sexy times are all well and good and yummy, but it's the mind control that's the erotic element of the story, so if you undo it at the end you've kind of done a take-back of the erotic power in the story.

Comments on 'June Tabenings and Etiquette and 'Seed' thoughts':

Anonymous, on coming off as crazy and/or me getting too many emails: I do not get too many emails. :) Also, your post was just fine. And I just bought Stellaris myself!

Saint Germain: Aww, you make me blush.

Frank, on trilby else and Psi: I had not seen that bit of art! So awesome! I reblogged it. As for trilby else... well, he became depressed about various things in his life and decided that his persona writing mind control smut was not helping, so he stopped. He had always been extremely protective of his real identity and only ever had the one point of contact, an email address via an anonymizing service. So... I dunno. He decided he was done, and that was that. I truly hope he has been having a good life since then.

Comments on 'Mmm latex':


Let's see, one 'undecided', two votes for seeing some unfinished stuff, and a vote for more 'Compromise'. Hmm, I dunno. I make no promises about 'Compromise', but lemme see about putting 'Codi' or 'Fake Ones' or maybe something else up here later this month.




3 comments:

  1. That was enjoyable, thanks for getting back to us.

    I'll be looking forward to next month with bated breath then.

    (Totally not clearing schedule for next month...totally)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are your thoughts on rehashing an old story? Deeper than you think you are could/should be seen by a larger audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never quite realized what you have said here as succinctly as you have described it. Yes! If you make the story 'a dream' or the 'hero gets rescued' story, then all of the build up of MC fervor feels like a waste!

    Complicated stories are always a difficulty. As an author, I get easily confused if I don't have a cheat sheet to rely upon to keep myself straight. But because I know everything that is going to happen, it's really easy to confuse the reader because they can't see into my head. Really have to be careful about that.

    It's a shame about trilby else, but sometimes people have to make these hard decisions to feel better about themselves or to move on to another phase of life. I salute his memory with respect and hope he finds joy in his future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete