Monday, May 30, 2016

Working for the Man

I'm thinking more seriously about writing that Joja story. It's providing good fuel for my random fetishizing during the day, and I think I've worked out how to move the plot forward with some tension in it.

Couple of problems - first, I'd like to go with the name 'Joja', but of course that's a direct lift from Stardew Valley and thus I am hesitant about it. Simon has a strict 'no fanfic' rule - which I think is wise and I have always abided by - although I think that using the name 'Joja' for the company but not swiping any of the other character names, place names, etc would skirt by with enough leeway.

Second of course is me - I daresay that the 'short' story I am describing in my mind would balloon outward as I drew in other characters and paced out the conversion over time, etc etc. I'll have to fight that tendency pretty hard.

Still, the idea is attracting me. Maybe it's just my desire to procrastinate from finishing 'Pierced', I recognize what a terrible habit I have in that way. On the other hand, if I start something else I could procrastinate from *that* by concluding 'Pierced'. Hard to say, really.

A good Tabico would procrastinate by writing the final bit of 'Compromise'. Not feeling romantic enough at the moment for 'Summer Flesh', or baroque enough for 'That Which Has Been Lost'.

Well, we'll just have to see, you and I. But smart money would bet on my starting 'Joja'.

2 comments:

  1. Which ever you decide, we'll welcome and enjoy immensely.

    As for the short, what about setting up a target word count, let's say 5000 words?
    I've never written a story, but it works with my papers. It forces me to condense the information and word things carefully, resulting in compact and consistent work.
    I'll go now. I have to re-read the Compromise, especially all "conference room" scenes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would complain, except honestly, Tabico, anything you come out with is damn awesome, and I've found that creative motivation can be fleeting. Never mess with success, and if something is seizing your creative passions, go for it! Us lowly readers will still be here regardless of what you decide. :)

    Isn't that always typical, though? You start out with a vague outline, then the story takes you places you never expected it would.

    A target word count is all well and good, but I've found that helps me little when the story inside me is trying so very hard to find a way out! I'm also naturally too wordy, too.

    ReplyDelete