Friday, June 24, 2016

Friday Roundup

Well, I *should* be getting ready for my trip, but first let me drop a little update here.

Dollmistress just shared some preview pics for one of the two games she's working on - and if you haven't played a Dollmistress game, you owe it to your fetish to do so. I'd start with Space Ditz, and then go for Miss Adventure, and *then* Overseer, but really you could do any order and be well served. I would definitely advise having a walkthrough or other guide ready to hand, though. DM plays for keeps. I finished Witcher 3 on 'Blood and Broken Bones' (I know, I know, casual) and I think I had to reload saves more often in Space Ditz.

I believe all three games are available via the forum over at the Hypnopics Collective.

As I say, she's got two new games currently bubbling away in development, and just revealed some delicious new pictures from one of them. One in particular caught my eye:

Now, I have no idea what's going on there, but in my mind that lovely lady is the voice of late-night radio WDRN, breathing sultry news and updates and taking calls from insomniac listeners who are well aware that secret cabals of mind controllers run all the major institutions of modern life, but aren't capable of doing anything about it.

Sort of like the late night lady DJ you can hear in the Vampire: Bloodlines game, the Deb of Night, only with discussions focusing less on vampires and more on the mind control drugs in the water supply and the secret ponygirl ranches in back-country Montana...

All right, it's Friday and that means time to scan the last week's comments for anything that requires answering by yours truly... ooh, looks like I skipped last week. Eh, I was busy prepping the Secret Files. So the last two weeks of comments.

I daresay the reappearance of 'Deeper Than You Think' therein addressed FZY1's observation from the 12th!

sohta was wondering about the number of issues left in the current story arc of CORE. That's easy: one! CORE #10 will wrap up this story arc, and CORE #11 will kind of sidestep to a different set of threads for a while. Same characters, but doing some different stuff. I do like the idea of the protagonists in one story becoming the antagonists in another, that's a good one. Interestingly, I was planning to do the opposite in 'Radiance' - Briaza, the antagonist in chapter one, would have been the protagonist in chapter two.

I am amused by the expressed skepticism, not to say dismay, from certain parties regarding the 'mind controllers lose' ending of Radiance.

Ziim seems to have been a hit. I only ever intended to write the bit as it stands - I'm not actually sure where I'd go with it, were it to continue. With superheroes you run into the problem that the heroes kind of keep ramping up in power, so either eventually they would defeat the Ziim simply by being too super, or the Ziim would win and that would be the end of that. As I say, I had no further plans in mind beyond the sexy vignette as it stands.

Half Shim - I shall give Notepad++ a try, I am familiar with regular expressions. Thanks!

Vanderbilt - but if the protagonists were all really smart *and* had super powers, how would I ever get them to fall into the mind controllers' clutches? No, no, I need those character flaws, hubris in particular, so that I can stop them from always winning!

And sorry about the jellyfish. :P

Hmm, and as for my unfinished stuff, it appears that what I should have been working on is a story about ponygirls *in* Middle Urth! Who knew?






20 comments:

  1. That's one of characters you can meet at the very end of Miss Adventure, depending on what you choose.

    Let's just say she's not very nice to Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, ponygirls in middle urth could actually work pretty well, somebody with more talent than me get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the picture - I think she's only taking off her earpiece.
    But your explanation sounds much more fun, obviously.

    And I am actually kind of sad that CORE arc is nearing the end! Surprising, considering the fact how I cursed at you and every chapter-ending cliffhanger, before. :x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The internet seems to have eaten my comment twice now, so my apologies if this turns into a triple post in an hour or something.

    Exciting news about CORE! Can't wait for next month. :)

    Regarding superhero settings, have you read the Web serial Worm? The world-building is fantastic and believable (which incidentally is something I love about your work) and horrible things manage to happen despite nobody being unusually stupid. It's also got a fair bit of MC fetish fuel, as well as plenty of body horror.

    The first installment of the Secret Files was awesome, by the way! Radiance especially, since it scratched the Lovecraft itch I've had lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, my posts, here, disappear on regular basis. I suspected Tabico's censorship, but it's probably just broken Capcha. (I hope)

      Delete
    2. I've had issues getting posts to post properly when using Chrome, but Microsoft's 'Edge' browser seems to work properly. Go figure.

      Delete
  5. Dollmistress has some of the best bad ends I've seen in MC games, oh my yes, but I find her games so frustrating and repetitive it is very difficult to have the patience to get to the desired result. I highly recommend walkthoughs to anyone willing to make the effort.

    I understand the desire to make it an accomplishment to get to the juicy material, but her games are Sierra hard - I.e. you can sabotage yourself earlier in the game so it is impossible to win without even knowing what you have messed up. OOf. I think some of this could be alleviated by letting the player know what they messed up when they die, but right now they are large black boxes full of trial and error.

    On a different topic, Vampire: The Masquerade had a lot to offer, but it was an unfinished and unpolished game, sadly. I still have fond memories of playing as a Malkavian and trying to talk gibberish to a stop sign, singing mad rhymes to other vampires, and twisting the minds of mortals to accomplish my mad desires.

    And now that you mention it, Middle Urth Ponygirls sound incredibly delicious. A dark mistress must have the proper beasts of burden to make her logistical chain run like a well oiled slave girl! Wild animals harnessed and trained to the barest touch of her whip, breeding for the good of the entire evil empire! They exist to carry her vile corruptors to the farthest niches of resistance, to spread her will far and wide, seeding the secret lies of corruption.

    I think I need to stop there, I shouldn't get carried away. I have fan fiction to work on, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For any brave souls willing to enter Dollmistress' dungeons, they may also be found here:

      http://tfgamessite.com/index.php?module=search&author=21113

      Do be aware that you'll need RAGS to play these games:

      http://www.ragsgame.com/downloads/RagsSetup.2.4.16.zip

      Delete
    2. Does RAGS run on both Mac and Windows?

      Delete
    3. Only via virtual machine, AFAIK. It needs MS .NET

      Delete
  6. Well, it's Tuesday the 29th and I'd *like* to post an update, but Google in its infinite wisdom has decided that since I am logging in from a different location, it's going to demand that I confirm my identity by allowing them to send my cell phone a message.

    Note that I am using the right password and everything, but Google won't let me log in without giving them my cell number so they can send me an SMS to confirm that it's really me.

    That's not going to happen; I have no desire for Google to have my phone number. So, although I would like to post during this period, apparently I will have to wait until I am back home to post on my blog again - assuming Google allows me to do *that* without giving them my cell number.

    I am more than a little peeved at what has turned out to be my unfortunate choice of blog host.

    - Tabico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One possible way around your predicament might be to use a VPN service like HMA or Anonymizer (which Trilby used). They often include a long list of virtual servers you can connect to. If they have your hometown on file, you can connect to the virtual server and access the services you use without Google asking for SMS confirmation because you happen to be halfway across the world.

      The added bonus, aside from better online anonymity when you connect to a public/hotel wifi, is the ability to sidestep location restrictions when viewing content (less of a thing if you live in the States, but you might occasionally come across something from the BBC that is UK-restricted).

      Of course, you do end up having to give your credit card info to the VPN provider, so that might be a dealbreaker for you. On the other hand, most VPN providers don't keep a log of your activity (i.e. your web surfing activity), so all a hacker would get is a record of your incoming IP address, the virtual IP you used, and your bandwidth usage.

      Delete
    2. Unless you use Ghostery, they are tracking your every move already. So it's not like they DON'T know it's really you. All the more of a reason to not give them anything more.
      And hey, it's not too late to change the hosting. If you choose right, I think you can even keep the CSS and visuals.
      Wherever you go, we'll follow. Like Google.

      Delete
    3. Well, hopefully you'll be able to enjoy your [insert activity/ies here] in spite of this kerfufle. We'll be here patiently, and I'm sure Dollmistress can pull triple duty if you need her to hold down the fort until you get back.

      Delete
    4. That is quite unfortunate. I already assume Google knows everything about me, as I have all my email accounts on their servers. There's no real good way to hide it all, I'm afraid.

      I did give them my phone number for two factor authentication. Much more secure than trusting that my password is *good enough.* Too many important things stored in my email these days, unfortunately.

      Delete
  7. Muwahaha my evil plans are coming to fruition... Wait you won't give them the number? Curses Foiled Again!!!

    Thank you for reposting Deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't apologize for the jellyfish! I loved that story as well as Ziim! I really enjoy parasite mc. Mind-controlling parasites can seem so small and helpless in most situations, but once they get to the right spot on or in your body, once they find themselves in that very, very specific set of circumstances most favorable to them...they become gods.

    Anyway, I'm glad that I found this blog! I've been following and enjoying your work for the past few years. I'm glad to see that you're doing well. Have a happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's almost plagarism: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17572809-invasive-species

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice bit of MC nostalgia this long weekend.

      Vice.

      Delete